Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Today is a special day.

This morning I took a time out to play a lil' computer solitaire
(I always play three-card draw with Vegas style scoring. More challenging that way), and I won the very first game I played! What are the odds, especially with Vegas scoring!
I'm taking this as an omen of good fortune, and I shall be on the look out for any money or gifts that are no doubt coming my way.
Of course, I stopped playing Solitaire right away after that.
Y'know...don't wanna nullify my good luck omen.

C.O.T.

There's this song by the Dixie Chicks...I dunno what it's called, but it's about this young dude who's been drafted and is about to go off to a military camp.

He meets this young waitress in a diner and they get to talkin'.
He asks 'er if he can write letters to her while he's away, since he doesn't have anyone else to keep in touch with at home.
The girl agrees cuz, y'know...she's taken a liking to the guy. He was probably really sweet and all that.
Anyhow, so he's left for Vietnam and he's writin' her letters, tellin' her all about the was over there. Everything's cool for a while, until the letters stop coming.

Then the song tells about how a football game back in the town, is interrupted, by the guy on the P.A. system, who reads out a list of local Vietnam deaths. There was one name in particular that goes unnoticed by everyone except the young waitress (who happens to be the piccolo-player in the marching band).
The poor thing hides under the bleachers and cries her heart out for that guy.

That is the saddest song I've heard in the last couple years. Makes me cry everytime I hear it. Imagine meeting someone and makin' an almost instant connection, only to have them snatched away, for something as pointless as war.

Ladies, there's a moral to this...if the man you love is about to go off to fight for anyone's country, don't lag, grab the nearest cricket bat and break his leg.

Do it for love...do it for...oh, I can't do this anymore, I need a tissue.




No comments: